Cricket Umpires Australia

News

CA Under 17 Male National Championship Match Officials announced

MGS

Cricket Australia has announced the Match Officials team for the upcoming Under 17 Male National Championships to be held in Mackay and Brisbane in October.

National Umpire Panel (NUP) member Mike Graham-Smith will join nine State & Territory Panel (STP) members to form the on-field Match Officials team. They will be supported by Tournament Referee Bob Parry and Umpire Selector Steve Davis. Parry is a member of the National Referees Panel (NRP).

Graham-Smith’s appointment to the tournament will be in an advisory and mentoring capacity for the other umpires on their own pathways. He brings with him over seven years of experience umpiring at the professional level and will provide an excellent resource for all tournament Match Officials. Fellow NRP member John Ward fulfilled this role at last season’s Tournament. Graham-Smith’s umpiring journey began after a successful Premier Cricket playing career consisting of over 200 First Grade games in Tasmania’s Premier Cricket Competition.

Graham-Smith last officiated in the Under 17 Male National Championships in 2009 before standing in the CA Under 19 Male National Championships the following season. In 2013, Graham-Smith was elevated to the National Umpiring Panel and has since stood in 21 First-Class, 15 List-A and 30 BBL matches. On his appointment to this years Under 17 Male National Championships, Graham-Smith was excited by the opportunity. “I am really looking forward to working with the umpires and match officials appointed to the Under 17 National Championships. In my role as mentor, I’ll be endeavoring to assist each of the umpires in any way that I possibly can. I’m sure I’ll also learn a lot from the them as well and improve as an umpire and person as a result of my experiences at the championships”.

West Australian Ashlee Gibbons and South Australian Eloise Sheridan have also been appointed. This is the first time two female umpires have been appointed to this tournament and reflects the increased numbers of female cricket umpires across the country at a representative level.
Sheridan’s appointment comes after strong performances last season which saw her debut in the SACA Men’s First-Grade competition. Sheridan had a busy 2017/18 season which included appointment to both the CA Under 18 and Under 15 Female National Championships as well as appointment to the SACA Men’s T20 Final at the Adelaide Oval. The recent appointment of Sheridan to the SACA State Umpire Panel means she will be available to officiate in this season’s WBBL, WNCL and Toyota Futures League.

Gibbons returns to the championship for a second consecutive season. In addition to the 2017/18 Championships, Gibbons officiated in last seasons WBBL and WNCL Matches. Gibbons’ national umpiring achievements date back to the 2013/14 season where she officiated in the CA Under 18 Female National Championships. In total, Gibbons has umpired in five CA National Championships so she will bring with her plenty of tournament experience. Gibbons was also recently appointed to the WACA State Umpiring Panel.
Congratulations to the full team of twelve Match Officials who will stand in this season’s Under 17 Male National Championships.

The umpires appointed to this tournament are as follows:

• Greg Beechey | TAS
  • Andrew Crozier | ACT
  • Berend Du Plessis | NSW
  • Ashlee Gibbons | WA
  • Andrew Hamilton | NSW
  • Roberto Howard | NSW
  • Jack Paterson | WA
  • Eloise Sheridan | SA
  • Mattis Van Eck | VIC
  • Mike Graham-Smith (mentor umpire) | TAS

The support staff for this tournament are as follows: