Cricket Umpires Australia
Paul Wilson named as CA Umpire of the Year
Congratulations Paul Wilson, who has been named the 2018/19 Cricket Australia (CA) Umpire of the Year for the second consecutive year.
Awarded annually, the CA Umpire Award is presented to an ICC Elite Panel or National Panel Umpire adjudged all-round most outstanding, with consideration not only to an umpire’s on-field performance but also their contribution to elite umpiring in Australia by way of significant achievement or off-field work.
Wilson joined the Cricket Australia National Umpire Panel in 2010/11 and at the close of the 2018/19 Australian cricket summer season has stood in a total of:
- 22 One-Day Internationals (9 further Third Umpire appointments)
- 11 T20 Internationals (6 further Third Umpire appointments)
- 54 First Class Matches (41 Sheffield Shield games)
Following his elevation to the ICC Emerging Panel of Umpires in May 2018, Wilson has stood in matches across India, New Zealand and the West Indies alongside his Australian domestic cricket commitments.
Since November 2018, Wilson has been appointed by the ICC to three One-Day International Series’, including India versus West Indies; New Zealand versus Sri Lanka; and most recently West Indies versus England in February 2019. His international cricket stint continued on Australian soil with appointment to the Gillette T20 INTL Series against South Africa and India before Christmas, as well as the Gillette One-Day International Series between Australia and India throughout January 2019.
On the Domestic front, Wilson was appointed to the JLT One-Day Cup final between Victoria and Tasmania at the Junction Oval St Kilda and this week returns to the same venue to stand in the JLT Sheffield Shield Final between Victoria and New South Wales. Wilson is an advocate for umpiring at the community level regularly attends state and community umpiring events where he is generous with his time and insights.
The award, selected by the Cricket Australia Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, is based on consideration of the following criteria:-
- On field performance
- Demonstrated a high level of professionalism in their conduct throughout the year, both on and off field
- Significant development and improvement in performance on-field
- Significant achievement in umpiring throughout the year
- Contribution to the Australian umpiring community through off-field activities
- Contribution to the Australian cricket community in general
- Sets an example of what it is to be a cricket umpire to the rest of the cricket and umpiring community
- Paul Wilson - 2017/18
- Simon Fry - 2016/17
- Simon Fry - 2015/16
- Simon Fry - 2014/15
- Simon Fry - 2013/14
- Bruce Oxenford - 2012/13
- Simon Taufel - 2011/12
- Bruce Oxenford - 2010/11
- Steve Davis - 2009/10
- Paul Reiffel - 2008/09
- Bruce Oxenford - 2007/08
- Daryl Harper - 2006/07
- Simon Taufel - 2005/06
- Peter Parker - 2004/05
- Simon Taufel - 2003/04