Cricket Australia Coaching
Teaching old dogs new tricks
Encouraging Senior Players to accept different activities is a fascinating topic with applications everywhere.
Below we have come up with 6 key fundamental points we believe are the key considerations when implementing a programme such as this in your club.
- Come up with the idea and reason why it should be activated.
- Explain to the senior players where it applies to them and how it can improve their game.
- Validate #2 by reviewing performances with the player where they have not delivered in this aspect.
- Demonstrate how this can improve the players around them.
- Encourage them to take the leadership and become a specialist in this area.
- If the activity becomes a drill, name it after them ie: Alfie 4 ball, Jacob’s Crucifix
This is a quick and easy summation of what is probably the greatest challenge coaches face on a week to week basis and we would love to hear any success stories or learnings you have had in this area.
Drop us a tweet on @cricketaus_cca or contact your relevant State and Territory education manager so we can highlight it.
Thanks to Andrew Walton (@andrewwaltonx) for his contribution to this article.